1.18.2011

Spencer Turnick Update

It has been a while since I last wrote about Spencer Turnick and he has been a busy boy.  What never ceases to astound me is how he has so many people organized without major chaos, gets them to willingly take off their clothes, then photographs them in such a way where they are all in the photo. From 300 to 3000, they are all there. Maybe not a full frontal assault, but there they are in living color - all of them.

Here are some links you might not have seen.

  • This one speculates that Lady Gaga was bare bottomed in Australia as Turnick staged 5000 people in front of the Sydney Opera House. 
  • Here is an informative site presented by Turnick himself with lots of pictures.
  • This site has a form to sign up as participant in one of his artworks, among other interesting things.
  • This is a great site that has personal descriptions of participating in the photo shoot.
  • Another page of what it's like to participate.
  • And the final one, I promise. 
I am just so fascinated with the whole idea and figure others are too. I read that there is a perception that Turnicks work is not art. It is unusual and monumental, but not art. Well then is Christo's wrapping the coast line in Little Bay, Australia art? I guess not. And what a shame that two ingenious artists are not getting the recognition they are due.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.