1.20.2011

I'll Try to Not Get Into a Wreck

This week how often have we said the words, "I'll try"?  Really think about it. I think I say them at least five times a day. "I'll try to call you...",  "I'll try not to complain," "I'll try to have dinner ready tonight," "I'll try to stop by,""I'll try to sell that car," yada, yada, yada.

 Do you know in one of the native American languages there is no word for try. They either do it or they don't.  Do we try to get to the Jets game when we have season tickets? Does a doctor say, she will try to set our broken leg? Do we try to get to the birth of our first child? Does a concert pianist say he will try to finish the concert?  Do we try to get to our wedding? Do you get my drift here?  When we say 'I'll try", it paves the way for failure, and gives us a way out of being responsible for ourselves and what we can or can't do.

When we say I'll try, we don't have to set boundaries. Nine times out of ten, we are probably thinking, "NO way am I going to be able to.....". But we suck it up and say, "Sure, I'll try." If I were a boss and my employees said they would try to get the job done, you know where they would be, don't you?  We are super people, we can do it all. But we don't even think that, we just say it as a way to look good or get someone off our back.

Imagine a world where it was okay to say, "Oh sorry, would love to do that, but I have too much on my plate as it is, " and not be judged, punished or scorned. Invision a world where honesty is the norm, instead of the refreshing exception.

Maybe that is what this post is really about - honesty. Having the guts to stand up and be honest to the people who expect and demand so much from us, and being honest to ourselves about what we can and can't do. Living with integrity and knowing our truth.

Lets set an intension to be aware of the 'I'll try" trap. I challenge us to go a day without saying we would try to do (something), as in "I will try to put out the fire." It is a baby step, but a step none the less. Awareness is the first key to change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to the dentist a only one weeks ago to get my braces on. I' m even having straits in eating because of the wires. I also observed that I' m having a oodles of cuts advantageous my entrance because of the wires and I reflect on it completely undesirable.
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.