2.04.2011

Shackles On - Shackles Off

No, this is not a new version of Wax On - Wax Off, made famous by Mr. Miyagi,  in the Karate Kid. This phrase is coined by Martha Beck in her book Sterring by Starlight.

To loosely paraphrase Beck, the shackles thing is a self test we do when faced with a decision we are stuck on. We look inside ourselves and check how we feel if we imagine making the decision. Does it make me feel as if I have shackles (chains, ropes, a noose, what ever works for you) on or off? I think it is brillant. Plus it is easy to do, and at my age, easy to remember.

I have streamlined the test a bit and just notice how I feel when considering an action. I love the image of shackles and find if something is not going to be in my best interest a vision of myself lugging around heavy chains shackled to my ankles pops into my head. I get the message real quick and take the appropriate action.

To clarify, Beck says on her blog,
There is a distinction between trusting your instinct to avoid harmful situations (like stepping into an elevator in an empty building with only you and a decidedly creepy guy) and taking a risk, (like going back to school to get your Master’s degree when you are 55 years old). Both fears can feel the same until you give them the Shackles Test.

Shackles on test
One person place or thing that doesn’t serve my destiny is:____
When I let this person, place or thing fill my conscious mind, my body and mood react in the following ways: __________
This physical reaction is your “Shackles ON” feeling. Remember it.

Shackles off test
One person, place or thing that does serve my destiny is:____
When I let this person, place or thing fill my conscious mind, my body and mood react in the following ways: ____
This physical reaction is your “Shackles OFF” feeling. Remember it.
Once you become familiar with these feelings, you can use them to test your thoughts. For example:
  • Does the thought of leaving my job feel shackles on or shackles off?
  • Does breaking off my engagement feel shackles on or shackles off?
  • Does eating this entire box of Oreos feel shackles on or shackles off?
  • Does buying this pair of $300 shoes feel shackles on or shackles off?
  • Does working with this partner feel shackles on or shackles off?
Try doing the test the next time you are faced with a decision you are struggling to make. Let me know how it works for you.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.