While mommy was flying around, my time stood still at a new house with a really big brown dog that I wasn't even afraid of. Her name is Maisie Gray and she showed me around the house and all the good spots to smell in the yard. She likes squirrels, but I didn't know they were then, and that first afternoon I was following her around from tree to tree wondering what we were doing. One time I was jumping through the grass after her and she stopped so fast I bumped into her. She looked up really high into that tree I thought she might fall over; she didn't even breathe, so I didn't either, until I had to. I didn't know what we were looking at, but I was looking at her and looking up at the tree anyway. Then I saw a branch move and there was a jittery little gray animal looking down at us. Maisie Gray's ears got really tall and she tilted her head up even higher. She sat back on her bottom and didn't even blink looking so far up. So I did too, but after a while I wondered how long we were going to be doing this because I was getting hungry. I looked over to Maisie Gray and she seemed stuck to the ground, her neck craned up to that tree, so I left her there to go tell her mom I was hungry. That's when I learned that twitchy animal was a squirrel - Maisie Gray's favorite chase toy. Her mom said she never caught one, but she sure tried.
Whew, I sure am tired after all this remembering. Now I am going to take a nap.
Sometime I will tell you about my other new friend, Beaver the bird.


No comments:
Post a Comment