I neglected to tell you of the I insights I learned last week at class, so it is good there is no class this week, since I would be then even further in the weeds with my blog posts.
It seems our Pippi acts differently on leash vs. off leash. When she has the security of the leash (I am not talking retractable leash, but the common nylon six footer.) she is more assertive and playful, trying, unsuccessfully to get other dogs to play with her. When I click it off, for instance at the dog park, she just stands there watching the other dogs. Should one of them come over to sniff her out, she runs away, tail tucked between her legs.
I thought the park would be a good place for her to socialize, but I see that going there makes her anxious, so yesterday was our last time there for a while. Pippi is very comfortable playing off leash on the roof of our parking garage with other dogs who live in the building, so she is not getting deprived from play.
I am noticing the more we are out and walking the streets, which this time of year are crowded with tourists, the more she is learning about people. She still looks behind after certain people walk by, but she is getting more discriminating. It fascinates me the people she is attracted to and the ones she ignores, aside from the loud, drunk or generally obnoxious folk who wander the streets, of course. Last night Pippi would have followed the the ends of the earth this lovely young woman in a tight black dress and stiletto heels who ignored her completely.
Below is the dog park. It looks a bit grim, but down here this time of year everything looks burnt and dried up. The rainy season will be here soon and things will be lush and green in no time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
No, this is not a new version of Wax On - Wax Off, made famous by Mr. Miyagi, in the Karate Kid. This phrase is coined by Martha Beck in...
-
Sometimes Mommy does reading, or "studying", as she calls it. That means I can sit right next to her on our cozy sofa, but I can...
-
What gets me is that when I was doing chemo, particularly Adriamycin, my skin looked amazingly good. I felt shitty, but my skin seemed to gl...

No comments:
Post a Comment