PK was less than I had hoped it would be for Pippi, and more than I even considered for me. There were only four dogs in the class; two shy ones - Bear and Sophie, Pippi and a German Shepard puppy who was as hyper as Pip, but bigger and scared Pip with her energy. There was also the trainers dog, Scorch but he was big and scary also. The end result was that Pippi didn't get any chance to play off leash with anyone, and that was a disappointment for me. Pippi got attention from the other parents and that was good enough for her.
 |
Pippi, me, Sophie and her parents. Thanks to Bear's mom,
Eleanor Johnson, for the photo. |
A technique the trainer taught us, that I have been using daily, is the Tie Down. You tie a regular leash to an immovable object, then attach your dog to it. I use this when Pippi is out of control, which happens at least once a day, and it works like a charm. The first time she ran to the end of the leash and bounced back, was not pretty, but she was not hurt and has not done it since. This tie down seems to settle her. She has her bed, chewies and toys she can reach so she is comfortable and we are right there with her so she isn't isolated, just confined. When she seems calm enough I unhook her and she comes up on the couch and is quiet and cuddly.
Finding out the other parents have the same issues with their dogs that I have with mine is comforting and has helped me to feel more confident in my training skills. I am beginning to relax into this new role I have taken on, and not be so uptight that I am going to ruin our dog with my best intensions!
1 comment:
and we know how easy it is to unintentionally slip into the role of "girls gone wild" or "good intentions gone wrong"
Post a Comment