1.29.2011
Sacrifice of the Gummy Bear
I have discovered a new blog; Everyday Bright by Jennifer Gresham. The video above is from her post Rejoice! The Top 10 Benefits of Being a Nobody. I was intrigued by the title because, I have to confess, I am a Nobody and want to be Somebody. Or at least I thought I did. Now I am reconsidering, particularly in light of what is happening to the really big Somebody, Charlie Sheen.
Here it the #10 benefit, according to Gresham for being a nobody, and an explanation of the gummy bear demise.
10. Nobody achievements make the world go round. When I taught freshman chemistry, I loved doing the Gummy Bear sacrifice demo. What I wanted to impress on those young minds is that there’s more than one way to fry a Gummy Bear. Your body doesn’t burn glucose in one big step because flames and human skin don’t go well together. So evolution came up with the brilliant solution of breaking the process into a bunch of small steps to make it more manageable. Life is like that too. A flash in the pan is fun to watch, but the majority of progress in this world comes from the good work of Nobodies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
What gets me is that when I was doing chemo, particularly Adriamycin, my skin looked amazingly good. I felt shitty, but my skin seemed to gl...
-
Sometimes Mommy does reading, or "studying", as she calls it. That means I can sit right next to her on our cozy sofa, but I can...
-
Well, things did not go as smoothly this week. We had a replacement teacher who did not seem to be at the top of her game. How this played o...
No comments:
Post a Comment