1.26.2011

Thank You for This Day

I am taking a seven week self development course from Christine Kane - a, songwriter, blogger and coach. I signed up because my thinking was making me feel stuck. I wanted to write, to get back to blogging again. But couldn't break through the voice from the troll who sits on my shoulder and whispers, "Are you crazy? Who do you think you are? Who cares what you think?" and other words of encouragement.

Perhaps you have a troll, or a wicked witch, a critic or some other entity whose voice is louder than the voice of your soul. It's really our egos who want to be top dog. If there is a threat to that position, the racket starts, we listen and go downhill, probably to the sofa or fridge - if only temporarily and metaphorically.

Today's lesson from Christine is about gratitude, and a perfect follow up to Brother David from my last post. Walkers of the spiritual and self growth path are familiar with the concept of gratitude particularly as a vehicle for attracting more of what you want - money, relationships, health etc. into your life.

Consider this; gratitude is also a technique to help us be present and in the moment. If we are looking for things to be grateful for we are in an active, seeking state. We are doing something which has our senses on high alert rather than passively slogging through our day, reacting to what ever comes our way and feeling victimized by ....whatever.

Christine says, "How you translate any situation is the situation. What you choose to see is the truth (for you). This isn’t proposing that you live in denial or phoniness. It’s reminding you that your
translation of any life situation is your own choice."

Brillant, and of course we all know this, right? But I forgot it. She goes on to say (I am paraphrasing here) choose gratitude when we are making that split second appraisal. Is this a good or bad thing that is happening?

It's all for our greater good. Sometimes we need to look hard for that good, which brings us full circle back to being present and not a victim. My thinking is if we are present and our intension is to be constantly grateful, then it won't be so difficult to see the benefits presented to us every day.

I don't know, but today I am going to be on the lookout for all the miracles, gifts and smiles that come my way. Instead of numbing out, I am going to switch to detective mode, and look for clues which lead to gratitude. What about you? Are you going to be grateful or a victim? Put that way, it seems like an easy choice, doesn't it?

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.