8.30.2007

Thought for the Day



I seem to be going through some kind of spiritual regeneration, so I'm reading, when I remember to, 365 Saints; Your Daily Guide to the Wisdom and Wonder of Their Lives. I'm not catholic, but saints have always intrigued me, but I can't tell you why, I just don't know. If you want to read about the saints yourself on a daily basis online you can go here.

Today's saint is St. Pammachius., A.D. 410. He seems like he was a pretty nice guy, happily married, a Roman senator and he built a hospice and tended to the folks himself. He is contrasted with St. Jerome who was a real cranky character; an ascetic monk, bad-tempered and overbearing, and interestingly more well known than St. Pammachius.

How these two completely different men could both be sainted is a mystery to me, but again I'm not catholic, but this leads us to the meaning of the writing for today - variety. "Of all the lessons the saints offer, one of the greatest is their variety", says author, Woodeene Koenig-Bricker.

Create variety by noticing your habits and doing them backwards or out of sequence. If you always put your sock on the right foot first, put it on the left one first and see how it feels. Break the mold - eat Thai food if you never have, take a bus to work, talk to the person you are most intimidated by, listen to classical music if you normally go for country.

You will be surprised by the opening you will feel as you 'try on' new behaviors. Don't worry, I'm not suggesting you leave the cap off the toothpaste if you normally screw it on tight as a permanent change, but what's to loose if you do it for a day? Nothing! Try it.

If I could have an adventure today, what would I do? Where would I go? Who would I share it with?

I will not allow myself to become so comfortable that I become complacent.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.