11.20.2006

Recipe # 1 in Cooking Out of My Collection

I'm using the cookbook, Clock Wise Cuisine from the Junior League of Detroit (my hometown) for my first week with my experiment in cooking out of my collection.

I've realized collecting (anything) is hording, and hording is considered (by some) to not be a very good thing. So taking the premise that hording my cookbooks is not particularly helpful in my slow progress to enlightenment, I've decided to sell many of these favourites on eBay. But before they leave me I want to really get to know them, and cook from their pages.

This first night I chose the Mushroom Cheese Casserole on page 108 for those of you that might have a copy resting in the dust on your back shelf. As I progress along this cooking path, I will add pictures, but with this particular recipe it was eaten so fast I didn't think about taking a picture until it was too late - that's how good it is. I will warn you, if you are watching your carbs or fat levels this is not for you. The copyright of the book is 1984 when we were innocent/ignorant of the dangers of what we ate, drank/ breathed or smoked.

MUSHROOM CHEESE CASSEROLE
1lb mushrooms, sliced
1 med. onion, thinly sliced
8 tbsp. butter
2 eggs
1 cup milk
3 cups whole wheat bread cut into 3/4" cubes
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tea. pepper
2 tsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp thyme

Preheat oven to 325degrees. Grease a 2 quart casserole. Saute mushrooms and onions in butter. In a separate bowl, beat eggs and stir in milk.

Place 1 1/2 cups bread cubes in the casserole. Top with one cup of each cheese and 1/2 of the sauteed mushroom and onion mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1 tsp. parsley flakes and 1/4 tsp. thyme. Repeat layer. Pour egg-milk mixture over layers. Bake covered for 45 minutes, and then uncovered for 15 minutes to brown the top. Serves 6

Notes: I used day old
white baguettes, no thyme or parsley & some canned mushrooms, (as well as fresh) and it was excellent. I'm happy this turned out well, I would have been discouraged if it hadn't.




No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.