I was at Denny's the other day for breakfast, and at the checkout the forty something female cashier kept saying, "young lady" to me. "Thank You, young lady. Did you enjoy your breakfast, young lady?" Well, I look pretty good for 60, but I ain't no young lady! It was disgustingly patronizing, and made me know I will never get carded again.
As always, I got clarity long after the encounter, but if I had been on top of my emotions I would have said it was demeaning to call me a young lady, and if she was trying to make me feel better it had the opposite effect. Call her Grammy a young lady - not me!
I promptly went to Macy's and got some Tummy Tuck blue jeans! (They are excellent, btw).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
No, this is not a new version of Wax On - Wax Off, made famous by Mr. Miyagi, in the Karate Kid. This phrase is coined by Martha Beck in...
-
Sometimes Mommy does reading, or "studying", as she calls it. That means I can sit right next to her on our cozy sofa, but I can...
-
What gets me is that when I was doing chemo, particularly Adriamycin, my skin looked amazingly good. I felt shitty, but my skin seemed to gl...
No comments:
Post a Comment