9.04.2006

Shopping Therapy

For the last couple of days I have been engaging in some serious shopping therapy.

My birthday was on the 3rd, and I figured I needed to give myself some major presents for this major birthday (60), which I'm having trouble assimilating into my vision of myself. I'm sort of waiting to grow up, so when I say I'm sixty I feel as if I'm talking about someone else. It's quite jarring to the psyche. So what better way to avoid all those uncomfortable feelings than to spend some money!

As this transition progresses into my third act (as Jane Fonda puts it in her revealing and inspiring autobiography, My Life So Far) I'm unearthing my feminine side, which gives shopping a whole new outlook for me. I find that I usually buy clothes that cover me up, are practical and can be worn lots of differnt ways. I'm ready for a change.

I've started to notice what women are wearing. I think I can tell how connected to their feminine side they are by their clothing choices. I was in Macy's bedding department today and there was a woman buying red decorative pillows with little mirrors on them. She was petite and had on a beige halter top, beige Capri's and 3 inch wedge sandals. Her hair was longish, neat and blond. She was pretty and looked totally put together - definatly connected. If I wore the same outfit, I'd feel like a hooker!

After I bought my sheets I went downstairs to clothes and tried on skirts and frilly tops. I didnt feel like me. I realize that I'm moving out of my comfort zone, but I have to be able to identify with myself, don't I? I'm trying to connect, not disconnect with myself. I guess I'm going to have to slowely feel out my feminine and how that will translate into clothes. Baby steps, that's what I'm taking, and what a fun way to do therapy.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.