8.25.2006

Breast Cancer Barbie



What you are looking at is Mattel's contribution in the fight against breast cancer. She's called the Pink Ribbon Barbie doll. They are donating $250,000 to The Susan G. Komen Foundation.

This doll is so inappropriate I can't even get my head around it.

Obviously, it is for collectors. If I had small children, and I was trying to explain about my breast cancer and what I was going through by using this doll, my kids would look at me - bald and pale - then look at the Barbie, then back at me and not have a clue about what was happening to me. I would suspect the Barbie would be more real and approachable than me lying on my bed in my raggedy robe and tattered slippers.

Linnea at the Young Survival Coalition has cleverly created her own version of Barbie. Breast cancer Barbie by Linnea comes complete with bandages from her surgery, drains included. She also has an IV of the potent chemotherapy Adriamycin and a cute bald head! She even comes with assorted wigs. You go girl!

1 comment:

EllieGib said...

I have never been a fan of Barbie either but both my sister and daughter (Kim) were. I find her too small and ill-proportioned. Who wants boobs that big anyway???

elliegib

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.