7.25.2006

Radiation Is Finished

Today is the last day of active cancer treatments. Radiation has ended! It wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated. Is anything ever as bad as we think it’s going to be? Don’t our petty little minds work themselves up into a snit of fear and worry over some horrendous future that never materializes? I ask myself when I’m in the throws of this great gnashing of teeth, why do I do this to myself. But it’s almost comforting, like sucking my thumb was when I was three. The familiar dark downward spiral of unease and the ingenious mental movies, so outrageous they are never bound to come true. And I’m not just taking about fear based scenarios. I’m also talking about the happy fantasies (delusional though they may be) the good ones, the ones we love to review over and over.

Well, whew – I sure got off on a tangent! Back to radiation…


On Friday, the second to last day of treatment, the skin in my arm pit and behind it was red and crispy to say the least. But over the weekend, I made a cream based on shea butter that has softened my skin to a degree even I’m surprised about. My skin was very dry and tight, and it was painful to move my arm. Even though I had applied a lot of products on the radiation area – from aloe to the cream the dr. gave me, nothing really made me feel confident that I wasn’t going to peel badly and be uncomfortable. But after I started to use my cream I saw immediate hydration and moisturizing that penetrated deep into the dry areas. The other products didn’t penetrate deeply enough, and didn’t form a barrier to prevent moisture loss, mine does and I’m very excited. If I could help make radiation less uncomfortable I would be thrilled! If any of you are going through radiation and would like to be a tester for this cream please contact me through Leah's Natural.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.