1.17.2013

Alpha Dog Rules!

I can say that when I am the alpha dog it feels much better than when Pippi is giving me the "look" and running in circles around me. The day before yesterday I was I was feeling so inadequate I was nearly immobilized. If I don't control these feelings and allow them to overwhelm me, just for a moment, I feel like quitting. This happens not only with Pippi, but anytime I let that judging voice in my head start mouthing off - she starts her rant and I go downhill until I realize what she is doing and turn her off.

With Pippi, I should have left the room or ignored her. When she is in this hyper excited state there is no real communication capable, however I played the game until I realized what I was doing. I was so shocked at my behavior I just stopped everything. That was all it took - no eye contact. This must be an example of how having a dog can get you in touch with yourself.

Now yesterday was a good day. I found I had not done irreparable damage to her or our relationship (just taught her how to get to me, but by being diligent I can fix that, I think). We began to train on basic things like no biting, sit, follow my hand with a treat in it and collar training. We both did well and liked the training sessions. What difference a day makes and several you tube videos on puppy training.



No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.