2.16.2011

When You Eat, Eat. When You Sweep, Sweep.

A while back I was studying Buddhism. One of my favorite aphorisms was; when you eat - eat.  The idea is not to eat on the run, standing up or watching tv. One sits down to eat, and eats with attention to the taste, texture and nutrition stored with in the food. All one does when they eat, is eat. The same goes for doing anything - attend completely to the task in front of you. Multi-tasking is not a concept to be embraced here.

That is the ideal, and sadly I am far away from this goal. I eat standing up, while driving, reading a book and working on the computer. God only knows what I am shoving into my mouth, I sure don't. I might have originally prepared the food, but the distractions have even made me forget that.

Sitting down is the first step. The second is to eat without distraction. This I think will be the most challenging for us. We thrive on distraction, slowing down and only doing one thing at a time is boring, and why would I want to be bored? I spend most of my day running away from boredom. To invite it into my life is not comfortable one bit. However, if I can get over myself and see the benefit from making these small changes, I will succeed.  If it helps me loose some of my pear shape because I'm not as stressed, I'm for it. I am sounding more like I'm giving myself a pep talk, and maybe I am. I want to make some changes, and these "Baby Steps" might be just the thing for me - and you. Let me know what you think of this plan.

This piece over at Blogher, is a good one, and triggered me to write what I wrote here.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.