Evidently there were rumors of Chapter 11 circulating for a couple of months. Through the employee grapevine, never to be underestimated, the Sarasota store was thought to stay open until April. However, last night management and staff found out the store was closing from the news on local TV. This morning when she came to work she was told tomorrow (2/18/20) the cafe (my muse) was closing, and starting Saturday (2/19/20) the liquidators are swooping in to do what they do.The first Borders store was in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I would drive over an hour just to go and walk the asiles. There were no other bookstores like Borders anywhere. The Borders people were innovators. What we consider common place today, back in 1971, their store layout was revolutionary and fresh. Books just looked better in that store than in other stores.
Dark but with bright down lights reflecting the covers, the books were piled on tables instead of racks. The wooden floors gave a homey feel and there was always the new book smell in the store, even when the large front double doors were open. Outside in the summer, big tables flanked the entrance and sometimes angled around the corner of the building. These held the sale and remainder books. Time would stand still as I gased at every cover.
They carried the bestsellers and books college students would like, but they also were not shy about caring quirky books. Books that would appeal to a small group of people - like me. Again, it was the 70's, and not a lot of people were into meditation or organic gardening. Hard to believe, isn't it? But they carried multiple titles on such subjects, and many more of that genre.
It is sad, this closing. I have a history with Borders and many fond memories. Seeing it from its inception to it's demise is a little weird, but mostly just mournful. I feel as if I am grieving a loss. Which indeed I am, as are all of us who are sitting here sipping our last lattes at Borders.
No comments:
Post a Comment