2.26.2011

Another Border's Update

The other day I went into the store to do some writing and people watching, and found the cafe corded off, stuffed with display units, chairs and tables. In the store there were no cozy arm chairs scattered around to sit in as there had been two weeks ago before all this came down.

There was a distinct feeling of finality, loss and mourning with a smattering of greed thrown in (mostly from people who never set foot in the door until they could get a bargin). I sound judgmental. I am, and I am also guilty. I bought books, but only with the 30% off coupon. I went in there, looked at titles then went home and ordered them on Amazon. It was only recently I started to use the store as it was intended to be used - as a place to buy books, hang out and share a cup of coffee with friends.

I spoke with a manager, actually he busted me taking pictures for this post, so there will be no photos out of respect for the employees. Twenty five people will loose their jobs when the store finally closes. Their world was yanked out from under them without any warning, and they are suffering. He said customers are coming in with newspaper articles about the closing and wanting to talk with the staff about it. Sort of salt in the wound he said.

I don't want to contribute to their unhappiness, but people are interested in what is happening to the workers, the Border's chain and the bigger picture of this closing. Instead I want them to know, should any employees read this, that there are many people who feel deeply unhappy about what is happening and wish the very best for the all the employees in all the closing stores and hope their future endeavors are happy and successful.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.