1.01.2011

A Banner Way to Begin the New Year

Today I cleaned out my junk, utensil, vitamin (yes, I have a whole drawer devoted to the vitamins we take) and silverware drawers. And let me tell you - it is liberating, and a great way to begin the new year. That's according to Feng Shui. On New Year's Day you are to move 27 things in your house to enhance your reputation and bring you fame. Well, I tripled that, so any moment now this blog will be discovered and there will be a movie made chronicling my eclecticness.


Seriously - look at the before and after pictures below. You have got to admit the chi can travel around the After drawer a lot better than the Before one.

I also learned some things about organizing. One is to group like objects together. I used broad categories, like things that screw and things that cut. Or any kind of tape, from electrical and plumbing to 3M wrapping tape. I put things that stick to other things or themselves in a plastic bag. This holds felt furniture pads and Velcro circles, and some unidentified pads which, I'm confident of, the purpose will be restructured in my brain at some point.

I am a visual person. At one time I read a book about organizing for "my type", which turns out to be creative. I need to see what I have and have to do. If I put my to be done stuff in a drawer I might as well shred it instead. By the time I get to it checks will be bouncing off the walls and I will be sitting in the dark since the power company pulled my plug for non payment of funds.

A junk drawer is not in sight very often. But the way I have it arranged I can SEE what I am looking for rather than having it be a seek and find mission.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.