10.17.2007

Organizing Tips


You must have noticed I haven't been as attentive blogging as I was, say last month. The reason - I'm reading about organizing my paper piles, and between running back and forth to Office Max and getting frustrated and overwhelmed, I have little time or energy left to blog. At one point the keyboard was so buried even if I wanted to write it would have been moot.

Organizing for Creative People has given me a lot to think about, especially since the book deals with my piling problem. Evidently this is normal behavior for those of us that are Arbies (RBs - right brain dominant). I don't think I'm completely right brained, because there are parts of my life that are organized such as my files and color coded closet. It's really the mail that gets me flummoxed.

I wrote the above in August, since then.....
I've listened to a tape (I'll get the name of it for you soon) and followed their advice. I got an eight compartment organizer, one of those cheap cardboard jobs, and labeled each of the compartments. Bills, Action, Reference, Someday, To Read, Leah, Steve and ? (that's for stuff which doesn't fit into the other slots, but it's mostly empty).

The whole deal with organizing is to follow through. That means check out your bins weekly. Believe me, I know it's a drag, but if you want to get rid of the mess (that YOU created) you've got to be a big girl or boy and sort through what you have accumulated, and not to wait until the whole theing gets embarrassing, again.

I've found I feel more in control, as I should, because I am, and that's a great feeling. My next project is to reconcile my checkbook and put myself on a budget. Don't hold your breath....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If there's one thing I *don't* have a problem with, it's organizing. It's my calling in life - I'm like an organizational genius. The whole thing about it, though, is not only the initial sorting of the paper mounds, but the upkeep of the organizational system that you have created. Take heart that it ain't always fun being anal like me! ;-)

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.