10.22.2007

Music as Metaphor


I was just in bed, lying awake stewing about about my life when the vision of a conductor flashed by. YES! I thought, what a wonderful metaphor for life.

OK, close your eyes and imagine a conductor standing in front of the orchestra...she is raising her arms to direct the opening of the 1812 Overture...they are moving gracefully outward, like delicate wings as they draw the attention of the orchestra....then she brings them rapidly together in a powerful upward motion and before you know it, flings them out again and punches the air somewhere over in the violin section with a jab of her baton, and you are left momentarily breathless as the charged air around you explodes with sound.

Think about it. Isn't life like that? The ebb and flow as in waves lapping the beach doesn't cut it for me anymore, I like this conductor vision better. First the gentle focusing of attention as the air is parted with the outward movement. When his arms swing upward there is a united energy, all is moving in the same direction and feels stable. Your family, projects, work, relationships and finances are in great shape. As his arms fling out the possibility for chaos is the greatest and disintegration of the established pattern is conceivable, but not necessarily probable. One can edge through this disorderly time, and maybe nine times out of ten one does, but we all know and have felt the punch in the gut from the demon baton.

Now, I don't suggest this is a daily occurrence...I think we'd all be goners if that happened, but I like this conductor metaphor because there is the potential for control, which is, duh, what I'm not feeling at this god awful hour of the morning - in control.

So I'm now going to get into bed and imagine a melody with no oomph - maybe a gentle Erik Satie, where the conductor's arms sway smoothly through the soft air to bring the orchestra into focus. This vision is comforting even writing about it. I feel close to the fling out position, and knowing that, sensing the possibility of chaos, I can make amends and (here's a thought) keep playing different tunes until I get feeling more stable. Yea, for sure, I like that vision better. Nighty, night.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.