
I hate beets...I mean, when I was a kid and had to eat beets I'd stuff them in around my gums, packing until I looked like a chipmunk, then spit them out after dinner. Ick...however, tonight I willingly ate raw beets and loved them.
This new beet thing started when I got a take out lunch from Simon's, a local Sarasota restaurant that has "Raw Food Friday's". The Chef Scott Nuss made a beet ravioli I thought was the best thing I had ever tasted. Tonight's experiment wasn't as tasty, but good enough that the earthy beet taste didn't overwhelm, and I ate it.
Here's the recipe from Hooked on Raw by Rhio. Of course, I've made modifications, the biggest being I sliced the beets paper thin on a mandolin and stuffed them with organic Gorgonzola, but I get ahead of myself.
Beets in Orange Vinaigrette
3 cups grated beets (I sliced them and used one beet for a single serving)
Juice of 3-4 oranges ( I used 1 1/2)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. thyme (I forgot to add it, but it still tasted great)
dash Celtic sea salt and freshly ground white (I used black) pepper.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Keeps 3 days in frig. (I ate it all).
From another cookbook I read Gorgonzola cheese was a tasty addition, so I added it and rolled the beet slices around a dollop of cheese...yummy.
No comments:
Post a Comment