9.24.2007

Travelin' Thoughts


California was healing for me. I said goodbye to the people and places I needed to, and discovered parts of myself that are beginning to bloom.

I took time for myself with no reservations, which I find myself doing with more frequency. The little two to three day getaways I've begun to take around the state are that - no pressure - I do what I want to do when I want to do it. If there is any pressure it's of my own making because I want to accomplish something, be it sightseeing, shopping, blogging or walking in the woods.

On Friday morning after I had finished up the business at my aunt's house and shipped off all the boxes, I said to myself, "I can do anything I want with the rest of the day, what shall I do?" When was the last time you asked yourself that question? Or even had the option of asking yourself what did you want to do with X amount of time?

A while back I was having a conversation with my friend Jade Gates, who is a very busy photographer, and she said (and I'm paraphrasing), "When I'm doing anything, I ask myself, is this what I want to be doing with my time." This was a concept I had never (no kidding) considered. I just do what I do without considering if it's what I want to do.

Since that talk I've been paying more attention to how I feel when I'm doing things. Generally, I don't make much of a judgment one way or another, I just do whatever I'm doing because it has to be done, it should be done or someone wants me to do it.

What about you - if you could, would you you take a large chunk of time for yourself, and if you were brave enough to consider that, what would you do with that time?

2 comments:

howardlee said...

I think, I would go off somewhere for a month or two, no human contact, no media, with or without clothes, with pet, see how I felt about life after

Leah said...

Yeah Howard, I'd be there over the next hill or in the cove around the corner...but I'd opt for clothes...not crazy about bug bites on my woo woo. L.

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.