Yesterday for dinner we had Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas from Whole Foods (remember, I'm mostly raw). I used a salsa from Muir Glen but because we are trying to not do any dairy, I didn't have any sour cream. So I made some from cashews, and it was excellent...even my husband liked it! So here it is. If you have a blender like K-Tec or Vita-Mix it will be a snap to make, with a regular blender you will have to blend longer, but because you soak the nuts they are very soft so will blend into a cream.
Mock Sour Cream
1 cup raw cashews soaked 8 hours or longer
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Place the cashews, water, lemon juice, garlic and onions powders and salt into a blender and process until smooth. Stop when needed to scrape down the sides of the blender with a spatula. Chill for a couple of hours before eating. Mock Sour cream will keep for about five days in a sealed container in the frig.
Notes: The cream is thinner than dairy sour cream, but thickens up after it's been refrigerated for a while. I'm a firm believer in playing around with measurements, especially the spices, so if you like garlic, go ahead add more garlic. It's your sour cream, make it like you like it.
Adapted from Raw Food Made Easy by Jennifer Cornbleet.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment