6.25.2007

Cookbooks Again

Today was a stay at home day - why? I'm having a local Feng Shui consultant come for a look see. She's been here before, but I'm stuck again on what to do with the living area. You notice I say, area...but more on that later..maybe.

My job today was to redo my bedroom shelves making them less congested at the top, a recommendation she made the last time she was here. I've been less than anxious to tackle the job because most of the books are cookbooks and for some hidden reason I'm very attached to these books. I know this because as I'm sorting into impossibly tall piles the books I want vs. the ones I will donate to the library I look at the piles and see that the one I'm keeping dwarfs the one I'm to give away. And I don't even cook out of these books...never have and probably never will. But I WANT THEM, even if they're packed away and impossible to get to, I need them should I want that one recipe I saw at the turn of the century (that would be 1999, not 1899) for mac and cheese that was different from all the other mac and cheese recipes I had ever seen.

I was surprised it was so hard to let go of these books. Most of them don't even have any stories attached to them, no splatter marks or turned down pages or comments on how the recipe tasted and who liked it. But inside them are real treasures...history, and family traditions, regional ingredients and in some books glimpses into the social etiquette of the time. So how could I not keep all but the three brand new Mr. Food books that have nary a smear of great Uncle so and so's  spaghetti sauce gracing a page or two, hum?

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.