Luckily, that is not my problem, I do have bursitis in my right hip however, which is why I now have a ring. I went to the physical therapist and he gave me some nifty exercises and suggested I look into sitting on a ring because I told him it hurt my hip when I sat for long periods of time which I do - frequently. He told me car seats were a real problem, you know the ones that cradle you butt by pushing up against your hips? My little Hyundai doesn't have those kind of seats, but my office chair does so the ring elevates me above that cradle so no sore hip. Really, it works!
I laughed when I took the ring out of it's plastic and saw that it was made of urethane foam, the same kind of foam my former husband C. and I put on our geodesic dome as an insulator. Same color (baby poop yellow), same texture only it's sort of soft and not hard like the extruded dome foam was.
Back in the early 1970's when we built the dome, we were told that the foam was a state of the art product (meaning brand new and not tested a long time) and would be the perfect thing for covering our dome. So the dome was sprayed, then we painted the urethane "skin" as it was called, green to match the trees the dome was nestled around. It was a beautiful structure and we loved it (except for a couple of things, but that's another story) - and so did the bugs and the birds that went after the bugs that burrowed their way into the foam.
Come to find out there was no bug deterrent in the foam, so bugs had no problem making it their home, literally feasting on the stuff. The birds weren't shy about pecking for the bugs and since whole structure was roof we were living in woodpecker heaven which became our nightmare.
Shortly after we moved in the dome C. and I broke up and I moved out. Since I haven't thought about the bug problem in years I can't tell you the end of the story, except to say the dome has been replaced with a beautiful regular house, built by C. and his wife S., and it's probably safe to say they don't have foam on the very outside of their home.

2 comments:
A geodesic dome? How cool is that.
Yea Rhea, it was pretty neat, but it wasn't cool. Because of a ventilation problem we had, the large amount of windows and just the volume of air, the temperature in July when my mom first visited was 103 degrees inside. Of course we had no air conditioning. So much for impressing her with my new house!!
Post a Comment