3.27.2007

Tony Snow, the White House Press secretary, has metastatic liver cancer. Both he an Elizabeth Edwards are about two years out from their original cancer, and I'm sure were given a clean bill of health after they had finished their treatments. Of course, they knew from the statistics, which those of us who have had cancer are very familiar with, that the cancer might reoccur.

But when I hear statistics they don't feel real because they aren't me. I never thought there was even the possibility I might get cancer again, let alone die until the doctor told me, and I wonder if that's how Elizabeth and Tony felt.

I went into a funk after hearing about Tony. I don't want to get cancer again, and having two people announce their re-occurrences with in two weeks is upsetting. My heart goes out to them, having to cope with all the shit of cancer while being a public figure is way beyond un-fun. But I'll tell you one thing, we now have two new role models and lots more awareness of this increasingly prevalent disease, and that's not a bad thing. Elizabeth and Tony I wish you great success on whatever path you take.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.