Lately I have been drawn to listening to adventures about people who have obsessions. (I get books on tape out of the library because I haven't been able to concentrate long enough to finish a book since I finished radiation). It's very wierd because I was quite a reader.
The first book was about two men who were deep water wreck divers who discovered an unidentified German U-boat off the coast of New Jersey, and their quest to find out the history of the boat. They dove the boat, researched military records, talked to countless U-boat aficionados (who would think there would be such a thing) and mulled the mystery for years, loosing wives, sleep and some friends along the way. But they worried the thing like a dog and wouldn't let the boat go un-named.
I can't imagine. But maybe it was something like how I felt when I was collecting old cookbooks or Bennie Babies - not there there is any comparison in importance. I loved to be on the quest of a newly released Bennie Babies, the calls to store owners to see if they had any, the conversations with other collectors, even driving around with my kids to every McDonald's in town buying Happy Meals until we were all sick from the junk, but were thrilled with our pile of Beanie Babies.
The second book I just started to listen to is about scientists studying the great white sharks that congregate every year north of San Fransisco and a woman who got fascinated by the phenomenon. The book is Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey.
If you know me you would wonder why I was listening to anything about sharks, since I have a HUGE aversion to them. That being said, I do find them fascinating, and in the back of my mind there is the thought that knowledge is power - the more I know about the buggers the less terrified I will be.
All this is about people doing what they feel passionate about. I had a conversation with a friend the other day asking her what she was passionate about, and she was stumped. Moving out of the box of our lives into unknown territory is a scary thing for some of us, but how much richer our lives would be if we followed our passions, not to obsession, but to fulfillment.
What are you passionate about?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
What gets me is that when I was doing chemo, particularly Adriamycin, my skin looked amazingly good. I felt shitty, but my skin seemed to gl...
-
Sometimes Mommy does reading, or "studying", as she calls it. That means I can sit right next to her on our cozy sofa, but I can...
-
Well, things did not go as smoothly this week. We had a replacement teacher who did not seem to be at the top of her game. How this played o...
1 comment:
What a hard question. If I could answer it I probably wouldn't be blogging I'd be doing something with my passion.
Unless my passion is blogging.
I think my head may explode, ha,ha..
Post a Comment