Last weekend I had the opportunity to go to a unique workshop which was not what you'd expect from a workshop untitled Focusing. I knew beforehand it wasn't about how to concentrate or focus on task long enough to do the laundry or pay bills, but rather how to communicate with my inner self, how to acquaint myself with that 'knowing' part in myself.
It's hard to explain, but as I practiced the Focusing steps I was able to go inside (sort of like meditating) to a part of me I didn't know I had, listen to what it had to say with out responding or defending myself and leave with a promise to return to listen some other time if this space wanted me to. I know you're thinking I need to be locked up, but no, it's a really cool thing to do. I'm not explaining it very well so if you want to read more about Focusing you can - here, here and here.
That day my back hurt and the trainer, Libby Lovat suggested I acknowledge the pain by saying "Hello, pain", which sometimes is enough to make it go away. So I did. "Hello back," I mumbled to my lower back, "I hear you." I repeated it a couple of times and within minutes the pain was gone - I kid you not!! I am a believer.
Last weekend we worked on ourselves, this coming weekend we learn the role of the listener. Stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
What gets me is that when I was doing chemo, particularly Adriamycin, my skin looked amazingly good. I felt shitty, but my skin seemed to gl...
-
Sometimes Mommy does reading, or "studying", as she calls it. That means I can sit right next to her on our cozy sofa, but I can...
-
Well, things did not go as smoothly this week. We had a replacement teacher who did not seem to be at the top of her game. How this played o...
No comments:
Post a Comment