I mentioned Steve Pavlina the last time I wrote about resolutions and I'm going to help you, in case you didn't check out his link, get going on whatever change you want to make this year by tantalizing you with some of his stuff about showing up. He writes,
"A few months ago I began training in kempo, a martial arts style that could be described as a cross between karate and kung fu, plus some weapons training. By showing up to the studio again and again, I learn self-defense techniques, get an interesting workout, and have a lot of fun. If I simply continue this pattern, I’ll gradually learn kempo and advance in belt ranks.
Is this easy? No. I don’t always feel motivated to go to class, and sometimes I wrestle with the time commitment. Is this on autopilot? Yes. Attending kempo classes is a habit, so it would actually take some effort to quit. All I need to do is keep showing up, and the rest is on autopilot. If I show up to class, I know I’ll put in the effort when I get there and feel good about it afterwards. Showing up is always the limiting step. Showing up doesn’t guarantee I’ll become a black belt, but it will get me about 80% of the way there if I stick with it.
If you allow abstract concepts like health or love to remain abstract, you won’t move forward in these areas. For example, the abstract concept of fitness can be turned into the physical process of going to the gym, going running, or attending martial arts classes. Turning an abstraction into a process of showing up requires an initial effort of time and energy. You have to sign up for the class, join the gym, or do something else to get the ball rolling. Once the system is in place, you’re on autopilot. Keep showing up, and the results will take care of themselves."
There you go..Happy New Year, I hope this helps you get unstuck, it did me. To read the complete piece on Showing Up go here, it's worth the click.
1 comment:
Showing up is just so hard. Isn't there some magic pill we could take instead, ha,ha..
Wishing you a Happy New Year..
Post a Comment