Heifer's premise is to teach underprivileged peoples how to fish rather than just giving them the fish to eat. They use livestock and agriculture to develop programs to help alleviate poverty and hunger, and build a sense of empowerment and community. Visiting their site you see that a donation of only 30 bucks gives the gift of honeybees, and with Heifer supplied training, families can sell their honey in their local markets. I love this idea!
12.06.2006
The Most Important Gift Catalog in the World
Heifer's premise is to teach underprivileged peoples how to fish rather than just giving them the fish to eat. They use livestock and agriculture to develop programs to help alleviate poverty and hunger, and build a sense of empowerment and community. Visiting their site you see that a donation of only 30 bucks gives the gift of honeybees, and with Heifer supplied training, families can sell their honey in their local markets. I love this idea!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
No, this is not a new version of Wax On - Wax Off, made famous by Mr. Miyagi, in the Karate Kid. This phrase is coined by Martha Beck in...
-
Sometimes Mommy does reading, or "studying", as she calls it. That means I can sit right next to her on our cozy sofa, but I can...
-
What gets me is that when I was doing chemo, particularly Adriamycin, my skin looked amazingly good. I felt shitty, but my skin seemed to gl...
2 comments:
We've been talking about giving to charity instead of sharing Christmas gifts this year.
We have so much and others have so little.
This looks like a good program..
happy and blue2 - this IS a great organization for you to get in with. It's differnt and the kids might get a real kick out of giving some chickens to a village!
David - I'm going to look into it. Thanks
Post a Comment