Every year Sarasota hosts a Reading Festival. This year I saw cookbook authors Nathalie Dupree, Barbara Kafka & George Stella, fiction writers John Jakes & Sena Jeter Naslund and the non-fiction team of Dr. Richard & Rachel Heller (writers of the Carbohydrate Addict) talking about how to write a book.
Seeing George Stella in person was a hoot (although Nathalie told some really cute stories and did a shrimp & grits thing to die for). He really is as enthusiastic as he is on his Food Network show and better looking. I got his new cookbook Eating Stella Style because he told me to; not by badgering me but simply by telling his story. He weighed something like 400 pounds and by changing his diet he lost it, feels great and has a lot of energy.
After all, isn't that what many infomercials are, a persons story about a change in their life that occurred because of some action they did? If that action coincides with an action I want or need to take then it speaks to me, otherwise I ignore it. I think I've just figured out rule # (whatever) in Marketing 101. I have never considered my story important enough to effect someone, but maybe it is.
To paraphrase the Hellers, nobody is going to do it but you, and if you keep 'trying' rather than doing it, it ain't gonna get done. So, what's your story and what do you want to do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
What gets me is that when I was doing chemo, particularly Adriamycin, my skin looked amazingly good. I felt shitty, but my skin seemed to gl...
-
Sometimes Mommy does reading, or "studying", as she calls it. That means I can sit right next to her on our cozy sofa, but I can...
-
Well, things did not go as smoothly this week. We had a replacement teacher who did not seem to be at the top of her game. How this played o...
No comments:
Post a Comment