10.16.2006

Withdrawal Woes


Why is it when I'm ill, and have junk food I feel better? And when I feel good and eat just food I feel bad. I just had some potato chips and am on the road to recovery... recovering from what, you ask...the story follows.

During chemotherapy I was having such powerful hot flashes that I was more wet than I was dry, so I asked the
dr if she had something for me. She said, "You bet," and put me on low dose Effexor XR. It worked beautifully, well, at least I wasn't so damp, but now it seems to not work as effectively and I'm 'glowing' more than I want. Last week I decided to stop using the pill and ask for something else.

Of course I did this with out the dr knowing, and today I woke up thinking I had been transported to a planet that looked an awful lot like earth but was slightly askew. After a quick internet search and a conversation with my local pharmacist I have diagnosed myself with withdrawal symptoms! Yikes, I was just on this little pill, how could it mess my mind and body up so much?

As I write this I have currents ricocheting around my brain making my ears go wong-wong from the inside, which is most problematic. I feel as if I'm back on space cadet chemo, and am counting the minutes until I can take a nap, hoping that will make this all go away.

I also took a pill. I know, how am I going to withdraw if I keep taking them, but I'm going to do it every other day for a week then every two days, etc. What I'm experiencing can't be good for me, so I have to stop it.

The moral of this story is (as it always seems to be) is moderation. Don't cold turkey anything or else you might pay a price.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.