
I have a passion for cookbook ephemera
from the 1940 & 1950's. You know, those little pamphlets with the happy housewife whipping up a batch of biscuits while daddy and the kids ignore her. Actually, I think they are a great social history. I even have a Jello pamphlet illustrated by Maxfield Parrish.
I was reading a booklet the other day produced by Pet Milk from 1955 and came across this recipe that sounded like something fun to do with kids. "Serve creamed chicken or tuna (does anyone serve creamed tuna any more?) in Toast Shells. To make shells, remove crusts from sliced bread. Brush slices with melted butter. Press buttered side down into 3-in. muffin cups. Bake on center rack of 375 oven 10 minutes, or until golden brown".
I make creamed chicken with my leftover rotisserie chicken, and add mushrooms and peas...yummy.
No comments:
Post a Comment