8.12.2006

Almost Hairless and Happy


This week I stopped wearing my wig, it was just too hot now that my hair is growing in. It was a really big deal for me. I didn't feel brave enough and was worried people would stare or feel sorry for me. Just the opposite has happened though. I have had amazing conversations with total strangers - on the street, in the store, at the grocery. People want to share their breast cancer stories, and my obviously new growth seems to give them permission.

Now, I marvel at how needlessly insecure I was. Both men and women tell me how great I look. The wicked witch that rides on my shoulder whispers in my ear, "They're just saying that to be nice," but I don't think so. I think having this badge of virgin hair (that people love to tousle) is a symbol that affects everyone differently, but affect them it does. And if they aren't personally touched by someone with cancer, they have certainly heard grim tales from the front lines, which they see I have been through.

It seems strange, but this support is making me feel more confident and open in all parts of my life. I am living fuller and experiencing deeper because of strangers caring. It's beautiful.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.