6.21.2011

Alone

Recently I was at a workshop where we spent a day, alone wandering through the streets of a city - in silence. It was a powerful experience. Some of us were very afraid to be by ourselves in a city. What would happen? Would we get mugged or worse? What if we got lost, or forgot where we were to meet up with the group? If we got left behind, would anyone come for us? How would they know where we were? All these thoughts circulating around and around, picking up momentum on each rotation.

But you know what happened? Nothing. None of us had a real experience anything like the ones we made up in our head. Many of us developed an awareness of what it is like to be a street person. I know I did. I was ignored and overlooked, and it was okay and I was okay. I was alone, and I was just fine. And you know, as I was doing this exercise I noticed a lot more life going on around me than I usually did, and I was grateful.  This young woman has worked it out too.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.