2.19.2011

Borders Update

I got an email from Borders Rewards, saying the Liquidators were coming today and everything was on sale for 20-40% off. At 4pm I decided to go over and see what was happening.

As I passed the two guys waving placards out on 41 announcing the closing of Borders in garish yellow and shiny black, I knew I was in for a crush of people. I got confirmation by trying to find a parking place in an otherwise 50% full parking lot. There was a sort of carnival atmosphere surrounding the entrance. Little Girl Scouts were hustling their cookies and the store overflow was spilling out the door.

Sliding sideways between two oblivious customers I entered only to see a remarkably long snaking line up to the cash registers. Someone was barking "Next" ever so often, and the customers were loaded up, not so much with books, but with the accessories - journals and cubes of paper, that kind of thing.

I was interested in books on how to write (as you might guess since I am posting with a bit more frequency), and there were still plenty to choose from, but the discount was only 20%. What a disappointment. Considering the long line, I decided to nix any purchases today, instead keeping an eye on emails telling of future price cuts. I figure writing you novel kind of books won't be flying off the shelves and may make it to further discounts.

I threaded my way over to the cookbook/diet area, which was pretty much decimated except for the big ticket cookbooks along the outer walls - for those of you familiar with the store. On my way, I looked over to the cafe and am happy to report that although it is not open for business, it still has all its tables and chairs. People were computing away and resting from their strenuous shopping. So my muse is still available, should I decide to fight the crowds to get there....that remains to be seen.

No comments:

After Our Morning Training Session

Cesar Millian says, a good dog is a tired dog - I agree.