In this video you will learn about the extraordinary contribution and dedication of one brother for another. Jamie Heywood's brother Stephen was diagnosed with ALS when he was 29 years old. As Jamie says in the video, the family banded together and turned this very difficult diagnosis into an opportunity to help themselves deal with what was happening, as well as helping other people with distressing diseases.
Jamie, his youngest brother Ben, and a friend Jeff Cole built a web site, PatientsLikeMe.com, which enables patients control and access to their healthcare information and allows them to compare it to other people who are experiencing the same problems.
After watching this 18 minute video, I am excited. This site is a beacon of hope for many people, as well as a model for future site creation to address other illnesses like cancer or heart disease. PatientsLikeMe group patients by Communities which includes ALS, Fibromialgia, Mood Conditions, Parkinson's and Epilepsy among others.
I encourage you to look at the site, and pass it along to friends or family who might be struggling with their own disease problems, need support or want to connect to others like themselves.
Thanks to TED for, as always, their excellent content.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
What gets me is that when I was doing chemo, particularly Adriamycin, my skin looked amazingly good. I felt shitty, but my skin seemed to gl...
-
Sometimes Mommy does reading, or "studying", as she calls it. That means I can sit right next to her on our cozy sofa, but I can...
-
Well, things did not go as smoothly this week. We had a replacement teacher who did not seem to be at the top of her game. How this played o...
No comments:
Post a Comment